Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Take me out to the ballgame

Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out to the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
I don't care if I ever get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game.


(Let me just say one thing before I get started on the real topic of this post - I am on a roll here...3 entries in one day, all beginning with song lyrics. Maybe this will be a new trend?)

On Monday evening, we went to a Gwinnett Braves game. It is located in, you guessed it, Gwinnett. We sat on a quilt on the grassy lawn beyond the outfield. Very cool, very cool indeed. Except it wasn't very cool temperature wise. It was actually very warm and sunny. I would suggest taking a hat if you are going to sit out there because until about 7pm or so, the sun is directly in your face, as you can see by the picture below where I am squinting despite my sunglasses, causing the creases between my eyes on my forehead to deepen even further. Oh, my! Getting older certainly has its disadvantages.


But, I digress. The field is great for the kids because they can spread out, run around, try to catch a homerun ball, whine and cry without bothering people too much because they are not within close proximity to others (well, not as close as sitting in the stands would be). Also, behind where we sit on the upper edge of the grassy lawn are several moonwalks for the kids to enjoy. Look closely behind PreacherMan and you can see them.

We used them as a bribe. IF you are good for the game, THEN we will let you play on them. The problem is that the kids see these things and want to play on them the entire game but the purpose of going to the game was to, well, see the game, right? Apparently not, if there are moonwalks beyond the outfield. We held them off until after the 7th inning stretch song and then we headed to the moonwalks. And, of course, they do not come free. Another reason to wait until you are almost ready to head home.





Tate was the most excited about Monday's adventure. He was ready to catch a homerun ball if it came our way. But, alas, one did not come our way. He was pretty disappointed but maybe next time we will have better luck.


Ben was not that enthused with the ball game. He spent much of his time doing the above - wallowing on the quilt or grass, urgently requesting (otherwise known as whining) to play on the moonwalk, begging for another icecream. He did enjoy the icecream cookie sandwich part as well as the end part where we sang and played on the moonwalk. I think he would have been alright without the rest (the game).




For the most part, Cora enjoyed the game. She mostly enjoyed our seats. She danced, she pranced, she rolled, she pee-peed in the grass. That's right, folks! Once again, you gotta love potty training. It wasn't too noticeable and nothing a quick pull up and dress change couldn't cure. After which, she decided she must have an icecream of her own. And, who am I to deny my little girl an icecream sandwich cookie?
Watching the Gwinnett Braves is on our "Go Back" list. Great venue, great price, great family fun.
Lolly

No comments:

Post a Comment