Thursday, October 1, 2009

October Dayz are here again...

Can you believe it is already October? Can you believe we only have 3 months left of 2009? Where does the time go?
On this,the first day of October, Cora and I planted some pansies. We have 3 large pots in front of our garage that PreacherMan prepared for us in order to plant these flowers. I will confess I am not much of a yard worker or gardner. I leave most of the outside work to Craig. That's just the way I am. However, I like the idea of planting flowers. But, I don't know exactly what to do to prepare the pots/flowers for proper planting so Craig did that part for me. All Cora and I had to do was actually dig little holes and put the flowers into the dirt. Which is what we accomplished today. See for yourselves.


First, we dig the holes.


Then, we take the flower from the plastic thingy very carefully.


Then, we break it apart a little to let the roots breathe, or something like that. It sounded good and I thought someone, somewhere told me to break it up a little before planting so that's what we did.


Next, you carefully place the plant into the hole and gently push it down. Gently, I said. Don't suffocate the poor flower!
After reviving the poor flower that had been forcefully mashed into the hole, we then gently patted the flower. Why did we pat the flower? Don't know, but I think it had to do with guilt over previously suffocating it.


October is always a busy and fun month of the year. A few things I like about October:

1. The cooler yet still warm, sunny weather: I love the cool mornings and night when you need a light jacket to go outside. I also really enjoy being able to snuggle deep into the covers at night.

2. Fall Festivals, Gold Rush, crafty shows: I am a sucker for a fall festival, craft show, and Gold Rush. I love looking at all the trinkets that people make and sell. I love buying unique, hand made items at these places. I am an even bigger sucker for all the good food and treats at these events. Gold Rush has the most delicious grilled corn on the cob. It's soooo messy but it's soooo worth it.

3. Trick-or-treating: Candy, candy, candy. What more can I say? I do love the costumes, too. But, the candy is the highlight of the event.

4. Candy corn pumpkins: The only thing better than candy corn are the candy corn pumpkins. One year I won a glass pumpkin full of candy corn and candy corn pumpkins at the church fall festival. Yum.
5. Visits to the pumpkin patch: Love, love, love to go to Burt's Pumpkin Patch or Kinsey's Family Farm. Nothing like a hayride to see a bunch of pumpkins. I love pumpkins. (Let me clarify - I love to look at pumpkins, not eat pumpkins, or carve pumpkins. I like them more in a decorative, sit in front of my house with some mums and hay stacks sort of way.)

Raise your hand if you love, love, love October?

Lolly

No comments:

Post a Comment