Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Roll over, roll over...

Lately, we've been playing a game of musical beds at our house. Well, to be honest, we have played this game for about 5 years now. Long ago, before we had children, we decided our kids would sleep in their cribs. Then, we had Tate. We needed sleep and he slept quite well when he was with us in our bed. And, the cycle began.

We had Ben and swore we would put him in his crib. We didn't. He slept with me. Tate slept with Craig. All was well with the world. Then, we had Cora. She slept with me and Ben.

Then, we decided to put Tate and Ben in a room together. Most of the time, they sleep well together. Lately, Ben has taken to sleeping on the couch. He sometimes falls asleep on the couch and we move him to Tate's bed. We wake up in the morning and find him on the couch. Tate mostly sleeps in his bed but he will often lay down in our bed first and I think he secretly hopes he will fall asleep before we notice and that we won't have the heart to move him.

Cora still sleeps with me and Craig. The other night, Tate woke up and stumbled into the room and crawled in the bed with us. I was only half awake and didn't feel like telling him to go back to bed. So, by this time, we were getting cramped. Just to paint you a picture, Craig is on one side, I am on the other, and Tate and Cora are in the middle. Around 4 in the morning, Ben stumbles in and crawls into the bed. The only place left was at the end of the bed at our feet which meant that I had to keep my legs pulled up the remainder of the night.

At this point, it is getting a little ridiculous. All I could think of was the song "There were 5 in the bed and the little one said, roll over, roll over. One rolled over and she fell out..." Well, I was the one that would have fallen out because not only did I have my knees bent up, but I was on my side(because Cora was right up next to me) and I seriously was hanging off the bed. I nudged Cora over to where I felt a little safer and proceeded to go back to sleep. Needless to say I woke up very stiff the next morning. As I woke Craig up so that he could go to work, he says, "Who all is in the bed with us?" How could he not know? Obviously, he must have had plenty of room if he didn't realize that all 3 kids were in the bed with us. Honestly, I think he had half of the bed and the rest of us shared the other half.

This doesn't happen often. Anymore. But, when it does, it makes me very glad that it doesn't happen very often. In case it does happen again, I have a plan. I am moving by myself to another room where I don't have to share the bed. That's the plan, anyway, if I can drag myself out of the bed to do it.

Lolly

No comments:

Post a Comment