Saturday, October 17, 2009

Tate's Faves

Not to exclude anyone from my lists of favorite things...today, I will share some of Tate's favorites. (In case you are wondering, I come up with these based on what I observe, I don't actually make my kids tell me these things...)



1. Baseball: Last year, all he wanted to do was hit the ball. Catching the ball, throwing the ball, running the bases didn't really interest him. This year, he likes it all. He is an incredible encourager - when I play catch with him, he always tells me what a good job I am doing (which is a stretch of the truth to say the least.) He's such a good boy.



2. Riding his bike : I am using the term "riding" loosely here. He is obsessed with jumping ramps, riding with no hands, wheelies, etc., etc.,etc. Thank goodness for helmets. He is actually pretty amazing and fearless and it scares me to death. So, I was thinking why not just put him in a class or something to teach him how to do it? Maybe they could teach him safety, too.



3. Reading chapter books: I'm glad to say he really does enjoy reading. He's good at it and it's fun to him. Now, don't get me wrong - he'd choose baseball or bike riding over it on most days, but he still does enjoy it. Mercy Watson is his current favorite - it's about a pig detective.



4. Monster trucks, bike shows, America's funniest videos, world's deadliest animals, etc.: The more gruesome or daring the better, in his opinion. Most of these are fairly entertaining and harmless with little to no bloodshed, but on occasion can be a bit gory. We have to be careful on these shows. In fact, we had to put our foot down on the show called "Scarred" - much, much too graphic.



5. Baseball movies: Any movie that has baseball in it, he really likes. Sandlot, Bad News Bears, Everyone's Hero, etc. We thought these were harmless but then we re-watched a few of these and my goodness the language in a few of these older versions was ATROCIOUS. So, we erased them from our DVR and hopefully from T's memory. Lesson learned: before he watches it, we need to watch it.



6. Fried chicken and macaroni and cheese: Need I say more? He's our carnivore - he is a meat and potatoes kind of guy - minus the potatoes.

7. milk - The kid can go through the milk. It is his beverage of choice. I don't have to worry about his getting enough calcium.

8. Fishing - For the past few years, Tate has really become interested in fishing. He loves to go with his Daddy or his Papa fishing in any of the ponds near our house. Fortunately, we know a few people with private ponds so he gets a chance to go fairly frequently.

9. Snakey and pillow - These two favorites are starting to fade away just a bit. For a long time, Snakey (a 6ft stuffed snake) was a bedtime necessity. He had to have Snakey stuffed down under the covers and then up beside his body all the way to his face. His favorite pillow was also a necessity. If he got up during the middle of the night and changed beds, he would bring his pillow and snakey with him. These days, he can live without them, but he still prefers his favorite pillow over any of the others.

10. The master bed - This is really a favorite among all of our kids. Everyone likes our bed the best. Tate will sleep just about anywhere you put him but he prefers the "big bed" or what he often calls "Daddy's bed". Many times, he will conveniently slip into the "big bed" to watch T.V around bedtime and then he just "happens to fall asleep". I think he does this knowing that we won't have the heart to wake him up or the strength to move him to his room. (The boy is like a chunk of lead.)


Lolly

No comments:

Post a Comment