Friday, June 4, 2010

Church

Last Wednesday ( a week ago), Tate was saved in his room before he went to school. He didn't say a word about it until he got to school then told Craig. Then, they called and told me. Of course, we were a bit overwhelmed and maybe even shocked at the way it all occurred, but equally as excited and elated with the news. Basically, it boils down to the fact that Tate has/had the faith of a child - he felt bad, knew he needed to pray, prayed, got saved, and that was that. Easy as pie. No questions asked. No need to get anybody. He just knew what to do and took care of it.



This past Sunday, he joined Pine Crest Baptist Church and will be baptized this summer after revival. How cool is that?? He is pretty excited about it and frequently asks how many days until baptizing. He is also pumped about the wine and bread in September and is counting down the days until we have communion again.



After he was saved, he and I talked about being baptized and joining a church. When I asked him was this something he wanted to do, he said yes. I asked him what church he wanted to join. He replied "our church" (which to him is Pine Crest). Then, he asked me where I was baptized, where Craig was baptized, etc., etc. I told him we were all baptized at Harmony Grove and that is where our membership is. He thought a minute, then asked the question that I knew would come...."can I join and be baptized at any church?"



So, I told him, "Well, sure. But, normally you join a church that you go to or that your family goes to - one that you feel like is your "home". And, I don't know why but years ago, I had thought this would happen. "This" being that one of the kids, after being saved, would think of all the churches we had been to and randomly try to pick one to join. So, I was not surprised when Tate then began to think and randomly picks out a church that we helped in during revival last summer.



He says, " I think I'll join Jon's church - you know the one we went to for a week last summer".



So, I say, " Well, that's fine, but normally, you would want to pick a church where you go to on a regular basis or where you would be able to go to on a normal basis, somewhere where you feel like you should be going. Or, sometimes, it may be where the rest of your family goes." And, I told him that he didn't have to decide right away and that it was completely up to him.



He replied, " I want to be baptized at our church." Ok. Now that we have that settled, I began to think.



This whole scenario made me think about all the names that the kids have for the different churches we have been to or helped at in revivals. Alot of times, the name is associated with either the pastor at the time or someone who goes there. Let me share a few....



1. Jon's church - Mt. Pisgah (Jon is the pastor's son)



2. Donny's church - Salem (he was the pastor there when we helped)



3. the eating church - this can be a variety of churches - any of which we may have eaten at.

This name was given first to Second Baptist in Cumming.



4. Grandma Cantrell's church or the church where Grandma Cantrell "died" (she is buried there) - Harmony Grove



5. the drum church or Matthew's church: Oak Grove (Matthew is the son of the former pastor)

They have a set of drums that the boys were quite taken with the week we were there for revivial, hence, the name "the drum church".



6. And, last but not least, "Our church" - which refers to Pine Crest, which is where, one day very soon, we will get to see Tate baptized. I, for one, can't wait!



Lolly

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet. I really enjoy reading your blog, when I remember that you have one!!! What a great church to call "our church"!

    Jessica Parks

    ReplyDelete