Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A little weirdness for you...

So, lately, I have a few new obsessions. But, I must confess, that they are not all that new, but maybe a little bit stronger than normal. But, I'm really not sure. So, is it nesting or is it just me being a bit odd?


What am I talking about? I'm talking about my obsession with clean smells and clean laundry. First, the smells. I love, love, love the smell of washing detergent, dryer sheets, soap, shampoo, anything with "clean and fresh" smell. Not so much the perfume or fruity smells or anything like that. I just really like the "clean" smell. It is a pregnancy thing for me but it is also an "all the time" thing for me. My favorite part of the grocery store is the aisle with the detergent in it. I could stand there all day smelling of that aisle. I know. It's weird. But, when I am pregnant, it intensifies to an almost obsessive point. I think my sense of smell becomes more acute during pregnancy so things smell that much better (or that much worse).


This obsession was so bad that with Tate, I would carry a jar of laundry detergent in my car so that it would heat up in the car while I was working and my car would smell like it when I was driving home. I know. It's weird. At the beginning of this pregnancy, I was so sick that even the smell of laundry detergent and softener made me really, really sick. I was a little heartbroken because I really do like that smell but couldn't stand it. In fact, my mom would wash our clothes and sheets during this time and I had to have her go easy on the softener because I would get so nauseous smelling it. She couldn't even wear perfume around me.


But, I am over that aversion. Now, I LOVE the smell of clean laundry. So much so that I find myself doing laundry all the time (which really isn't that new) but I have found I enjoy it a bit more than I once did. I love the smell of our laundry room. I love the smell of the clothes when they are wet. I love the smell of the clothes when the are hot out of the dryer. I know. It's weird. And, yes, I do smell the clothes as I put them in the dryer and take them out of the dryer. And, yes, I think I even do this when I am not pregnant but the intensity of the smells is not the same. I know. It's weird. The great part about it (and a bit different than normal) is that I am really getting very good at getting the clothes out of the dryer quickly instead of letting them sit and have to re-warm them. I don't let them sit in baskets (which I truly, rarely, let happen before) because they smell the best when they are still warm. I also just really like have my laundry all caught up. I find myself looking for stuff to wash - oh, the sheets need washing.....oh, the blankets that we wrap up in while laying on the couch need to be washed....oh, the swimsuits that we won't be needing for 3 more months need washing...oh, let's wash up the baby clothes. I know. It's weird. But, maybe it's also a form of nesting. And, that's normal, right?

(This is what I washed up of the baby clothes so far. Aren't they so sweet?)



Since I've already revealed too much of my weirdness, I'll just quickly touch on the other "smell" obsessions that I have. Love, love, love, shampoo and soap. I take at least 2 showers a day and wash my hands obsessively - mainly because I like the smells of the soaps.


And, the other really great smell? It may be the weirdest of all. I love the smell of BJ's. Do you know the smell? It's a combination warehouse - lots of boxes - lots of paper towels - lots of cleaning supplies - lots of detergent and softener smell. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Please, someone say yes. Anyone? Anyone?


Lolly

No comments:

Post a Comment