Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tea Party

Today, Cora and I started preparing for her 3rd birthday party. We are having a tea party! I am so excited!

First, let me just say that I totally stole the idea from a friend who did this for her little girl's party. I didn't copy her exactly but definitely took the main ideas from her and have re-created the tea party theme for Cora.


We only have family birthday parties right now (and will continue to do so for as long as possible). We have relatively small birthday parties consisting of my parents, sister, Craig's mom, brother, his girls, and our kids, of course. So, we only have 5 kids (but come June, we shall have 6 kids!) at the parties. I made each girl a "tea party hat" with flowers, ribbon, tulle, etc. Each boy has a "top hat" that we decorated. They each will also have a feathery boa and I think the boys will have a tie of some sort.
I used "lace" (plastic variety) tablecloths and used my mom's china to set the kids' table and to serve the goodies on. I decided against using all the china plates to eat out of (because who wants to wash all those dishes???) and opted to use them kind of like "chargers" instead for the kids. Actually, we will be eating on clear, plastic plates that are disposable.


I haven't completely decided on the menu as of yet. I want it to be small, finger food type foods. We are going to actually have tea - but it is going to be the ice, cold variety, not hot tea. I know that we will definitely have petit fours (those will be Cora's "birthday cake"). Since all of the pretty Easter candy is out, I am thinking of buying some of the pastel candies and setting those out in dishes. Maybe have some little sandwiches, cookies, and fruit. Dainty stuff. Tea party stuff. Doesn't it sound like fun? I think I am more excited about it than Cora, though today she kept saying, "isn't it beautiful?" and was very excited to show the boys when they came home.

Here are a few "preliminary" photos of what we did today. (These are from my iphone so they may not be that great). I plan on having Craig move the table to the middle of the playroom so the kids can sit all the way around it. The food will be on the decorated kitchen island. Adults don't get to have any of the fun - no special table or hats for them. We just get to watch them in their silly hats, eating scones and drinking tea.








And, by the way, I know it seems early to be prepping for the party since it is on Saturday but this old girl gets really tired these days. I have to spread out my activities if I want to be able to function properly. Friday is for cleaning and cooking a little. Saturday if for getting showered and dressed. And, of course, putting out food. I like for the day of the party to be virtually stress free. I have more fun that way. Everyone else has more fun that way. TRUST me.

Lolly










No comments:

Post a Comment