Thursday, May 20, 2010

Our First Camping Trip in our new camper...

Remember my camping/camper fever posts a while back? Remember we bought a really great used camper? Well, after a few repairs and minor changes (like a new quilt, curtains, etc.), we tried her out. We went on a small camping trip for my birthday to Duckett Mill which is just down the road in Gainesville on Lake Lanier. We rented a campsite next to some friends of ours and we had a great time!

We had to schedule our time around Tate's ballgames so we got there late on a Thursday night (after his ballgame) and stayed until that Saturday (which was my actual birthday). The plan was to come home by lunchtime on Saturday because Tate had another game that afternoon.
Craig took the camper early in the afternoon on Thursday to get everything set up. He said it was fairly simple and went without any glitches (which was good!) When we arrived, we basically just got ourselves settled, ate a late supper, and the kids and I went to bed while Craig and his buddy, JT, talked into the night. Being me, and the way that I am, I had to get stuff arranged the way I wanted it before I could do much of anything else. Plus, the kids and I were tired so we went to bed.
One note on my supper that night....our friends had grilled out so the kids ate the leftover hotdogs that they had. I opted for a turkey and cheese sandwich with my choice of chips as of late...chili cheese fritos. Why is it that when you camp, a simple sandwich and chips taste like the best thing you have ever put in your mouth? It was scrumptious, I tell ya. And, the amazing thing about it, the turkey was not even the fresh, deli turkey. It was the pre-packaged stuff that is somewhat inferior in my humble opinion. But, I digress. It was the best supper I have ever had. Ever.
(Preparing to go fishing....)
The next day, Friday, the kids and Craig played hooky from school, and we continued to camp. Craig, JT, and our boys went to run a few errands...pick up a cookie cake, shrimp, burgers, a scooter, that sort of thing. After lunch, we went fishing. The kids loved it. But, what they loved more was picking up rocks and throwing them into the lake. We continued to do this for a while until Cora, thinking it to be a rock, picked up dog poop, realized it was not what she thought, freaked out, wiped it on her shirt and started to scream. It was rather gross. She stunk. Luckily, I had wet wipes to wipe her down with which helped somewhat. We also had to strip her down so that cut our little excursion short. We opted to go back to the camper to bathe our stinky, little dog poop picking up child.
After a nap, we just hung out with our friends and some more friends joined us as well. Of course, we grilled out again. Enjoyed some birthday cookie cake that was made for me and Jill (her birthday was 2 days before mine so we had a combo birthday trip). After much running, and playing, and scooter riding, and playing ball, and s'mores making, we headed in for much needed baths and bedtime. It was glorious. Truly, a great first trip in our "new" camper. No major glitches, no major things forgotten.
During the night, it began to rain. I kinda liked it because the rain sounds great when in your camper. Then it began to storm a bit which doesn't really bother me that much. Then, the thunder and lightening picked up more so Craig and JT began packing the campers up, unhooking what needed to be unhooked, hooking up to their trucks, that sort of thing. By the time we were ready to go, they were absolutely soaked. But, it really didn't put a damper on our trip. It was still glorious. It was my birthday, after all.
Best of all, we tried out our "new" camper and loved it. We actually want to go back. Success. We had this fear that we would find out that once we owned a camper, it wasn't as much fun. But, turns out we love it. We can't wait to go back. Except we have no time to go back...it will have to wait until after the baby. Then, we can go back. And, waiting is ok. Because that will make us enjoy it that much more.
Lolly










No comments:

Post a Comment