Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Boot Envy

Not too long ago, I had a huge case of what I like to call boot envy. Everywhere I looked, someone would have a pair of boots on that I felt like I just HAD to HAVE. Ever felt that way?

I remember the day very well. It was the Sunday after Christmas. We went to church and I spotted them. Not one pair of boots but two pair of boots that were calling out to me.

The first pair happened to belong to a good friend of mine who shall remain nameless. She had on a pair of BEAUTIFUL brown Luchesse cowboy boots that she got for Christmas. Everyone NEEDS a pair of cowboy boots, right? That's what I keep telling myself. I NEED those boots so that once every year when I go to the rodeo, I don't feel left out. I could wear them with jeans, or skirts, or maybe even a cute dress. They are versatile, right? Right. Everyone NEEDS a pair of good cowboy boots. Just keep repeating it with me.

The second pair of boots happened to belong to the same good friend's teenage daughter. She actually WORKED for her boots, scrimped and saved, and then splurged on a pair of Classic Tall Chocolate UGG boots. That's right, UGG boots. I once thought they were hideous but lately I have fallen for them. You could wear them all day and your feet would never get cold. You could wear them under or over your jeans. They would last FOREVER, right? Right. And, with this extremely cold weather, they would be really handy right about now. And, I found out I could get a cheaper pair by buying the kids size. But, alas, the cheaper pair are still quite pricey.

I spent the whole week thinking of those boots, researching boots online, I even went boot shopping (or tried to anyway - the boot place was closed). I still haven't bought any boots. I'm trying to let the feeling pass but I just don't know if it will. I have Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket.

The next Sunday, PreacherMan preached on (among other things) coveting your neighbor's wife, house, etc.

Surely, it had nothing to do with my week of boot envy.

Surely, boot envy isn't the same as coveting, right? Right.

I'll just keep telling myself that.

No comments:

Post a Comment