Thursday, March 15, 2012

Thoughts on Running

I thought I'd share a little about my recent experiences with running.  First of all, let me say that I am using the term "running" very loosely here.  For future reference, if I say "running", you should picture a slow jog. 

At the beginning of this year, I had this great idea to take up running. It's free, everyone can do it, you don't need a gym membership, etc. The only problem is that I have always loathed running. I've never really been able to do it.  Or, I should say, never made myself do it.  Until now.  As I began to think about my plan to start running, I decided trail running sounded like fun.  Except I really don't like dirt and I'm kind of scared of wild animals (and crazy people, too, if we are going to be completely honest) that I might encounter on a trail.  Regardless of these uncomfortable truths, I bought a pair of running shoes that are supposedly suitable for both trail and road (and I really love them). I also bought a few pair of running capris, running shorts, and dri-fit type shirts.  Remember how I said running is free?  Not so much for me because I needed to look the part.   I may not run fast, I may not run very far, but I could at least look the part.

About 6 weeks ago, I began following the Couch to 5K running program on the Cool Running website.  It basically breaks down each week into 3 "workouts" of  walking/jogging intervals. The idea is that you gradually build up your jogging time while reducing your walking time until you are able to run a 5K. The program is designed to have you running 3+ miles in approximately 9 weeks.

I'm on week 6. And, I still don't love to run.  I don't even really like it. However, I am doing it anyway.
I'm surprising myself because I can actually run for more than 3 minutes at a time.  In fact, last week, I ran for 23 minutes without stopping.  This is nothing compared to what some folks can do, but it's huge for me. 

Though I still don't like running, I do like the way I feel afterwards. I'm happy that I am sticking with it.

 I'm starting to think that maybe a lot of "runners" feel the same.  Maybe they just seem to love it but on the inside they may be thinking the same thing as I am..."when is this ever going to be over?"

2 comments:

  1. This is funny! I have just gotten back into running post-baby and people look at me like, "Is she okay?" So at least you look the part. I think I look like I should be sitting on the couch with a pint of ice cream in my hand (which is typically what I resort to doing anywho). Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    I haven't visited your blog in a long time and just caught up on your posts. This one cracks me up - I have all kinds of running gear and still haven't caught the "running bug" even though I keep saying I am going to start.

    Are you still running?

    ReplyDelete